In the recent years, attribution has been a hot topic. From a Forrester report that was released in September 2014, 72% of marketers used multi-click methods to track attribution. While a majority of marketers have not used from the last-click model, many are still not convinced to act on new facts. This is reasoned for the lack of understanding data insights. TO help the majority, Google Analytics has launched a beta that allows to show conversion activity that are assisted by impressions from the Google Display Network or Youtube.
What is this impression beta all about?
– With the integration between Google Display Network and Google Analytics, data on display ad impressions and interactions can be visible under the Multi-Channel Funnel reporting with a dateline window of up to 90 days back.
– Present visible assisted conversion are: Rich Media Assisted and Impression Assisted Conversions.
– Rich Media Assisted Conversions refer to user interactions with YouTube or rich media expandable or video control functions of the ad.
– This beta enables Interaction Type selector at the top in the Google Analytics interface with four options – Impression, Click, Direct, Rich Media – By filtering for Impression/Rich Media and Direct, you will be able to see the impact of display prior to Direct conversion in the Top Conversion Path report under the Multi-Channel Funnels section.
How can you enable and participate in this beta?
– Active Google Display Network and/or Youtube Campaigns
– Currently using Google Analytics.
– By contacting a Google representative
– By linking your AdWords and Google Analytics accounts
– Within Google Analytics:
- Under Admin, Property column, Property Settings, Advertiser Features, set Enable Display Advertiser Features to ON.
- Under Admin, Property column, AdWords Linking, Link Configuration section – Edit, Additional Data section – select Enable Google Display Network Impression Reporting checkbox, click Save
Attribution is still a challenging area as there are areas that need to be defined regarding data across, devices, browsers, ad serving, analytics and other tracking tools. The solution may not be easy but it is a method of trial and error. To conclude, it is better to start now and adjust as your data set grows.