There is a constant debate between the validity of which is which between white and black hat SEO. Generally, White hat SEO refers to all SEO techniques that are widely accepted and supported by all the major search engines. Techniques include valid keyword optimization, meta data structures, quality inbound links and unique content. By implementing these general techniques to a site, it should help a site’s search engine rankings. Black hat SEO on the other hand is best described as a spammy technique and tactics known as Black hat SEO are deceptive to both users and search engine robots. Sites that are penalized by search engines due to spam will then have to work harder to earn their authority.
In between these two colored hats, there is a third one. This area of ambiguity is called or referred to as “Grey Hat SEO”.
What then is Grey Hat SEO? As the name suggests, it is a combination of both the established hats of SEO. It would include methods that are not altogether “illegal” by search engine standards but at the same time not completely trustworthy.
There is no single definition of this SEO technique that is accepted. Though there are some techniques that are considered to fall into this third division of SEO. Let us take a look at them:
- Duplicate Content – If a website’s main purpose is to index original content from other sites, having same or duplicate content is generally a big no-no. Original content is still the king of SEO. Content scraping (also known as ‘Article Spinning’) are also some conspicuous approaches in creating content.
- Buying Links – It’s an old adage in the SEO landscape that backlinks must be earned organically. Buying links is one method though in getting valid backlinks to a site. There is one exception though. If a link was bought from a relevant and authoritative directory, the backlink would be still considered as legitimate and the site will not be penalized for the known link that was bought.
- Cloaking – This technique feeds search engine robots and results alternate information to site visitors. This is achieved by either faking either the meta data or IP address of a website or both. This is arguable since some membership sites use this to point users to another site.
- Purchasing Old Domains – Some search professionals find and buy old domains just to add backlinks to their project SEO sites. This technique is known gives the link juice but without the effort needed to earn such.
- Social Media Automation – There are a lot of software programs and services out that gets thousands upon thousands of social media followers by mass sending friend requests or follows. This is not a Google regulated tactic but it is evidently honest.
For those who practice grey hat SEO, the advantages can be instant but is not sure to be proofed in the future since algorithms are changing constantly to catch abused or overused tactics to manipulate search rankings and traffic. The lasting traffic is the kind that comes organically and over time.
If you wish to learn more about Grey Hat SEO and other techniques you need to get your rankings better, call Custom A Design today. Our team of web developers and SEO experts know what exactly to do and they have the experience to get it done. Feel free to visit our website www.http://customadesign.com or Facebook page at www.facebook.com/CustomADesign for our contact details.